In light of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the artist community, Foundation for Contemporary Arts has operated the FCA Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund since March 2020. The COVID-19 Fund will disburse one-time $2,000 grants to eligible artists who have lost income from canceled performances or exhibitions because of the pandemic. Applications will be reviewed by a panel of artists.
Artists wishing to apply please see below for eligibility requirements and the FCA Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund application.
If you are seeking support for an upcoming performance or exhibition opportunity, you may be eligible for a normal Emergency Grant. Please visit the Emergency Grants page for eligibility requirements. If you have previously received a grant via the FCA Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund, you are still eligible for an Emergency Grant.
- In accordance with our mission, FCA will continue to focus its support on artists making work of a contemporary, experimental nature. If you are unsure about whether your work is experimental, you can see other artists we have supported on our Instagram and our website.
- Relief will be provided to artists who can demonstrate that they have lost income from a performance or exhibition opportunity that has been canceled or postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Applicants must be individual artists, or an individual representing an artist collective, ensemble, or group. Curators, producers, workshop organizers, organizations, or arts presenters are not eligible to apply.
- Currently, this fund is focused on providing support to choreographers, composers, playwrights, directors, visual artists, and poets, and cannot support dancers, actors, ensemble members, or designers who were working on a canceled or postponed project of work that is not their own; we recognize the vital contributions that performers, artist assistants, designers, and others make to the field and have listed other resources that offer more targeted support to those artists below.
- We recognize that many artists are experiencing significant losses associated with lost commercial sales, but our panelists have been prioritizing applicants who demonstrate loss of income related to non-commercial presenting opportunities.
- Applicants must be living in the United States or U.S. territories and have a U.S. Tax ID Number (SSN, EIN, ITIN, or other)
- Applicants cannot be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
- For the purpose of providing COVID-19 relief, we are temporarily suspending the three year waiting period between grants. If you have received a grant from the Foundation in the past three years you may apply for COVID-19 relief.
The FCA Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund has been generously supported by several artists and individuals, as well as the following foundations:
The Willem de Kooning Foundation
The Destina Foundation
Helen Frankenthaler Foundation COVID-19 Relief Effort
Howard Gilman Foundation
Leon Levy Foundation
Roy Lichtenstein Foundation
Barnett and Annalee Newman Foundation
The Richard Pousette-Dart Foundation
The David Rockefeller Fund
Trust for Mutual Understanding
Cy Twombly Foundation
The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts
For individuals and foundations considering supporting this effort, please know that your help at any level is appreciated. Please read the FCA Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund Fact Sheet for more information.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
FCA anticipates far greater need than this fund will be able to accommodate. Below you will find three additional resource links. Please note that the resources at the links below have not been independently vetted by the Foundation for Contemporary Arts and are provided solely in the hope that they might be a useful starting place for members of our community who are in need of resources and support. FCA encourages you to research all the resources on each list independently. You are also encouraged to follow CDC guidelines to avoid contracting or spreading the virus and, if you are in New York City, text COVID to 692-692 to receive the latest city-wide updates.
COVID-19 Resources for Artists and Arts Organizations - a list of national resources for artists and arts organizations from the National Endowment for the Arts
COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources - a list of COVID-19 resources for freelance artists that has been assembled by an independent group of artists and administrators.
NYC United Against Coronavirus - Resources and Information- a list of mutual aid resources for artists living in New York in case you or someone you know is immunocompromised or otherwise at-risk and in need of assistance with grocery or supply delivery or other services.