Since FCA's inception, more than 4,600 grants awarded to artists and arts organizations—totaling over $19.4 million—have provided opportunities for creative exploration and development.
FCA supports individual artists and collectives working in dance, music/sound, performance art/theater, poetry, and the visual arts through four core grant programs: Grants to Artists, The John Cage Award, Emergency Grants, and The Ellsworth Kelly Award.
Foundation for Contemporary Arts distributed nearly $3.8 million in 2020, including:
- $2,796,000 through the FCA Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund—1,398 relief grants of $2,000 each
- $720,000 through Grants to Artists—eighteen grants of $40,000 each, including six awards named for artists long associated with FCA
- $78,743 through Emergency Grants—46 grants of varying amounts, all made prior to the start of the pandemic
- The biennial $40,000 John Cage Award
- The $40,000 Ellsworth Kelly Award
- $22,000—grants of $2,000 each to eleven artist-founded or -led mutual aid funds
"I was able to actually pay myself a salary for making a dance for the first time. Basically, this grant saved my ass."
— Pam Tanowitz, choreographer
2010 Grants to Artists | Dance