The FCA Friends is a group of thoughtful and serious arts patrons committed to supporting contemporary visual and performing artists. Co-chaired by Caroline Hoffman and Paul Leong, the group funds one prestigious Grants to Artists award each year and directly selects the recipient of the FCA Friends Award. In 2023, Kenneth Tam was selected as the Grants to Artists recipient to be supported by the group. In previous years, Friends members selected Grants to Artists recipients JJJJJerome Ellis (2022), Du Yun (2021), Andrew Schneider (2020), Mika Tajima (2019), and Carissa Rodriguez (2018).
Members connect with FCA's rich community of artist supporters and recipients at private events and special programs. To provide an intimate and interactive experience, the FCA Friends membership goal is just 40 people. Recent events have included:
- Private tour of FCA Director Emerita Agnes Gund's collection and home.
- Day trips to Ellsworth Kelly's Studio in Columbia County, New York, Universal Limited Art Editions on Long Island, and The Glass House in New Canaan, Connecticut
- Studio visits with Cecily Brown, Robert Gober, Amy Sillman, 2019 Grantee Mika Tajima, and William Wegman
- Gallery talks with Cecily Brown and T.J. Wilcox, and with 2019 Grantee Trisha Donnelly at her inaugural installation at The Shed.
- Artist talks with 2006 Grantee Paul Chan, 2018 Grantee Sam Lewitt, and 2019 Grantee C. Spencer Yeh
- Private tours of Donald Judd's home and studio at 101 Spring Street and Louise Bourgeois’s home and studio in Chelsea
- Private tours of museum exhibitions including member: Pope.L at The Museum of Modern Art with Stuart Comer, The Lonti Ebers Chief Curator of Media and Performance, and Jasper Johns: Mind/Mirror at The Whitney Museum of American Art with Curatorial Assistant Lauren Young.
"The single-most valuable asset for an artist is time. Time is the most sought after, misunderstood, surreptitiously commodified, and indefinable medium an artist has. The Grants to Artists award has given me this—above all else—time."
— Andrew Schneider
2020 Grants to Artists | Performance Art/Theater
This award was supported by the FCA Friends